Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 25 mins Serves: 2-4
- Cooking oil (Canola is what I use)
- King Oyster mushrooms (can use other oysters as well)
- 1 cup flour - for batter
- 1 cup water - for batter
- 4 cups panic bread crumbs
- 2 tblsp smoked paprika (season to desired taste)
- 1 tbsp garlic salt (season to desired taste)
- sea salt (for seasoning after deep frying)
- Your favourite dipping sauce
- Heat oil in a pot on high. You want the oil to sizzle when you sprinkle water in it.
- While the oil is heating up, cut your king oyster mushrooms length wise into chicken strip sized pieces. You want to make them flat and about 1/2 inch thick. Make sure to use the cap and stem.
- Make the batter by mixing 1 cup flour with 1 cup water and whisk together. Add more water if it is too thick. (You want it to stick to the mushrooms but still have it slowly drip off if you hold it upside down).
- Once batter is made, dip the mushrooms in the batter individually making sure to coat all surfaces.
- Pour your panko crumbs into a separate bowl and toss one mushroom strip at a time in the panko crumbs. Make sure they are thoroughly coated.
- Once the oil is hot and your mushroom strips are coated you can place them in the oil. Make sure not to crowd the pot too much.
- Let them cook for about 5 mins on each side until they are a nice golden brown. TIP: if you notice them browning very quickly turn the heat down. It is important to let them cook for about 8-10mins without burning the breading.
- Once golden brown remove them from the oil and place on a cooling rack. Immediately add a pinch of salt on both sides once they are removed (this helps keep the batter flavourful).
- Once all mushroom strips are cooked and salted, serve with your favourite dipping sauce.
- Share with @circular_harvest on Instagram!