Banh Mi is a delicious Vietnamese sandwich traditionally made with a combination of various ingredients, including meat or tofu, fresh vegetables, and condiments. This recipe serves 4.
For the Lemongrass Marinade:
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, finely minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (adjust to your desired spice level)
For the Oyster Mushrooms:
- 16 oz (450g) oyster mushrooms, cleaned and sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
For Assembling the Banh Mi:
- 4 small baguettes or sub rolls
- Sriracha sauce (optional, for extra heat)
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Sliced cucumbers
- Sliced jalapeños (adjust to your spice preference)
- Pickled daikon and carrots (recipe below)
For the Pickled Daikon and Carrots:
- 1 medium daikon radish
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Prepare the Pickled Daikon and Carrots:
- In a saucepan, combine the rice vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. Heat over medium heat until the sugar and salt dissolve. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Place the julienned daikon and carrots in a clean jar or bowl. Pour the vinegar mixture over them, ensuring they are fully submerged. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight for best results.
Prepare the Lemongrass Marinade:
- In a bowl, combine the minced lemongrass, garlic, shallot, soy sauce, maple syrup, vegetable oil, sesame oil, and sriracha sauce. Mix well and set aside.
Marinate the Oyster Mushrooms:
- Place the sliced oyster mushrooms in a large zip-top bag or a bowl. Pour the lemongrass marinade over the mushrooms and toss to coat. Seal the bag or cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, allowing the mushrooms to marinate.
Cook the Oyster Mushrooms:
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the marinated oyster mushrooms and sauté for about 5-7 minutes or until they become tender and slightly crispy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the Banh Mi:
- Slice the baguettes or sub rolls in half lengthwise.
- Spread a generous layer of vegan mayonnaise on the bottom half of each roll. Optionally, add a drizzle of sriracha sauce for extra heat.
- Layer the marinated and sautéed oyster mushrooms on top of the mayo.
- Add pickled daikon and carrots, cucumber slices, jalapeño slices, and fresh cilantro leaves.
Serve and Enjoy:
- Put the top half of the baguette on the sandwich and press gently.
- Serve your Lemongrass Oyster Mushroom Banh Mi immediately, and enjoy the explosion of flavors!
This Lemongrass Oyster Mushroom Banh Mi offers a delightful blend of textures and flavors, making it a delicious and satisfying sandwich for lunch or dinner.