Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 1hr Serves: 4
- 1 tsp - extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (cut into large chunks)
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1 - 1 inch piece of ginger (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp - Chinese five spice powder (fennel, anise, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorn)
- 8 cups - vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp - tamari (soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp - hoisin sauce
- 2 pods star anise (or anise seeds)
- 1 - 3 inch cinnamon stick
- 6 baby boy choy (4 cups)
- 2 cups - mushrooms (your choice)
- 7 oz - vermicelli (cooked to package instructions)
- 2 cups - bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup - chopped Thai basil (or regular)
- 1/3 cup - green onions
- 4 red Thai Chile peppers
- 1 lime (quartered)
- Heat oil in a pot on medium-high. Sweat yellow onions until translucent (5 mins). Add garlic, ginger and 5 spice powder. Stir until fragrant.
- Add broth, tamari, hoisin, star anise and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 1 hour (you can cook it for a shorter period of time but the longer you simmer the more flavourful it becomes).
- Strain broth and place back into the pot. Add bok choy and mushrooms, return to a boil and cook until tender.
- Divide noodle into 4 bowls. Divide broth, mushrooms and bok choy into bowls swell.
- Garnish with the garnish ingredients.